In spite of all the hype about hearts and brains, the liver is arguably the body’s most important organ. It helps to detoxify everything that goes into our body. The liver is also the body’s fat and protein processing and storage center, and the largest internal organ in our body. With over 500 functions to perform every day, the liver is constantly working to keep our body balanced and in check. The simple truth is that our liver has to work properly in order for us to be healthy.
Cleansing is about resting, cleaning, and nourishing the body from the inside out. Below are some really powerful foods that can help cleanse your liver, to keep your body feeling as good as it should.
- Garlic. Garlic contains sulfur compounds that support the liver and activate liver enzymes that are responsible for flushing out toxins from the body. Garlic also has selenium, an important mineral that supports detoxification.
- Citrus fruits. Especially lemons, limes, and grapefruits. These fruits are very low sugar and have a high vitamin C content. They are highly alkalizing once ingested, and increase the oxygen levels in the liver.
- Broccoli. Just like garlic, broccoli contains sulfur compounds that help detoxify the liver.
- Avocado. This popular fruit contains glutathione. This is a very powerful antioxidant that helps protect the liver from incoming waste and toxins.
- Turmeric. Turmeric is a powerful herb that contains many antioxidants that can help repair liver cells. Turmeric is especially good to detox the liver from heavy metals.
- These are just a few, but there are many foods like leafy greens, raw walnuts, beets, green tea, cabbage, and more that can do some serious wonders for your liver health. Please do everything you can to take care of the liver and, as always, please let me know if you have any questions.
Contact us today to kickstart your health and fitness program!